Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Week Three: EDU 651- There is Nothing Private About Facebook

As we know, Facebook is a social network. Although it has potential for other uses, such as promoting a business, connecting with organizations, such as March of Dimes to show support to premature babies, and many other causes of good nature- There is NOTHING private about Facebook.
This week, we reviewed an article about a woman who made a comment that she was "teaching in the most ghetto school in Charlotte"(Schaffhauser, 2008), and although she was making this comment on her private facebook page, her settings were not made private, and her opinion left her open to public scrutiny in addition to consequences from her school board. So yes, we can see that although sometimes we are making comments to our friends or whatnot that we consider to be "private", posting them on Facebook isn't technically the most professional thing to do. In addition, if you are considering operating a facebook page and living any sort of professional life, be sure that what is posted, or what gets posted is something that you don't mind sharing with the WORLD, because literally, that's what Facebook exposes you to- a global network!

Something I must share on this topic: I recently had a friend of mine post pictures of myself from highschool onto my Facebook page. Luckily, they were genuinely congenial pictures and ones that I could identify with, and I was "tagged" in them, so they showed up in my pictures as well. Funny to be able to remember the moments of highschool drama club- literally, but had this been another picture, from say, a party where my attendance was more or less "unknown" by let's say my parents, I might have chosen to delete the "tag" and just simply say to my "friend"- "THANKS FOR POSTING THIS PICTURE, I hope I never have to see it again in my life time".
Hahah.



Reference:

Scaffhauser, D. (2008). Suspend Teacher in Facebook Incident Ignites Debate: should ONline Privacy for Educators Exist? Retrieved July 27, 2010 from URL: http://www.thejournal.com/articles/23611 for job seekers to get a preview

No comments:

Post a Comment